[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - policy authority

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Sat Jul 2 19:55:41 PDT 2011

* RJ Atkinson wrote:
>With regard to Dave Crocker's note on terminology, I strongly prefer
>using "Internet community" over "IETF community" (as Olaf's words
>above already do), because any plain-language reading of the phrase
>"IETF community" has a meaning that is far too narrow.  The RFC series
>serves not only the IETF/IESG, and separately also the IRTF/IRSG/IAB,
>but also the broader Internet research, development, operations,
>and user communities.  We want to use and retain clear language that
>keeps the RFC series scope obviously broad.

The "IETF community" are weird, old, bearded, humming, men who quarrel
over what kind of discount they should be entitled to when they attend
their 25th IETF meeting. The "Internet Community" however included "me"
back when I started participating, preparing my first Internet Draft,
when I was just a kid in school. Life forms can join and leave the IETF
community as they see fit, there are no membership cards, no screenings,
if you participate, then you are in. As such I would very much agree
that, regardless of context, the overly inclusive "Internet Community"
term is much better than some "IETF community" term.