[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - policy authority

RJ Atkinson rja.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 11:00:35 PDT 2011

John,

  Either you've confused my note and the quoted text with some
other, or you've somehow mis-read my note and the quoted text.

  I simply suggested a specific improvement to clarity and
crispness of some ambiguous text that was posted to this list.

All,

  Based on experience serving 4 years on the IAB, I believe
we need to be very clear and crisp in defining the IAB's
responsibilities.  Some process documents (at least historically)
have been accidentally ambiguous, at least as some IAB members
understood those documents.

  Some serving IAB members felt the relevant process documents
were not clear about whether the IAB had actual responsibility
and authority in some areas.  This impeded the ability of the
IAB to act in such areas.  All of the IAB folks I worked with
are good, diligent people.  So these instances were not the
result of an ineffective Nomcom.

  In the past 5-6 years, greatly improved clarity and crispness
has been provided when defining IAB roles & responsibilities,
as various documents (e.g. Nomcom process, RFC stream processes)
have been either revised or newly published.  That trend is great.

  It is important for all of us to focus on clarity and crispness
whenever roles and responsibilities are defined, including with
text being proposed for this document or during these list
discussions.

Yours,

Ran