[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - policy authority

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri Jul 1 07:52:54 PDT 2011

At 01:26 01-07-2011, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
>But Dave might be too. Depending, that is, on what he means with
>IETF community.

Dave clarified that [1].

>I believe that the change in the first sentence is a good one.
>'overall interest of the Internet community' is something we want to
>stick to. Although removing "IETF" from "IETF community" might make
>it a tough task to determine where the community is. But, if we

I didn't send text earlier because of the difficulty with coming up
with a definition.  The interested communities are the those served
by the streams defined in RFC 4844 (IAB, IETF, IRTF,
Independent).  If a definition is required (which is not a good
idea), it could reference those communities.

>phrase the sentence as:
>
>   All decisions are to be made in the overall interest of the Internet
>   community.  The community is the arbiter of policy.  The RSE
>   must consult with the community on policy issues.

I personally would drop the "must" and leave the text to be read as
established practice.  Feel free to ignore it.  The intent here is
consultation to get buy-in from the community.  The definition of
"policy issue" is not that important if the overall interest of the
community is the goal.  It is up to the community to step in and
point out that "micro-management" should not be an established practice.

There are other occurrences of "IETF" in that paragraph; see
rewording below for Section 2.1.2.1.2:

   "All decisions are to be made in the overall interest of the Internet
    community.  The community is the arbiter of policy.  The RSE
    consults with the community on policy issues.  The RSE works
    with the community to achieve policy that meets the overall
    quality, continuity, and evolution goals the RSE is charged with
    meeting.  As described below in Section 3.1 the RSE reports the
    results of such interactions to the RSOC, including the specific
    recommendations on policy.  This enables the RSOC to provide the
    oversight the IAB is required to apply, as well as to confirm that
    the community has been properly consulted and considered in
    making policy.

>the combination with
>
>   The RSOC will act with authority delegated from the IAB: In general
>   it will be the RSOC that will approve consensus policy and vision
>   documents as developed by the RSE in collaboration with the
>   community
>
>will ensure that the IAB (ultimately) has the possibility to
>determine if the relevant community has been consulted.

Ok.

Regards,
-sm

1. http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2011-July/002585.html