[rfc-i] Meaning of "IETF"

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Jul 1 06:40:46 PDT 2011

On 7/1/2011 1:26 AM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
> Making that distinction between IETF and greater IETF is also the reason why
> discussion about the RFC Editor constructs are not held on the IETF
> mailinglist but here on the rfc-interest list.

That we need to make the distinction between two uses of the same acronym is a
point of continuing confusion.  FWIW, I meant 'greater IETF' for this thread.

We need a reliable and unambiguous term for the 'greater'.

My own preference is to use the term "IETF" only for that more inclusive and
broader reference, which would include IRTF and IAB and RFC Editor.

If you look at an organizational chart for that 'greater' set of sub-groups,
everything has a definition that permits this broader use, except for IETF
Stream, and the title "IETF Chair"...

And on the specifics for the wording about the RFC Editor, absent agreement to
use "IETF" as the more inclusive label:

> All decisions are to be made in the overall interest of the Internet
> community.  The community is the arbiter of policy.  The RSE must consult
> with the community on policy issues.

looks like reasonable wording.

d/
--