[rfc-i] RFC Style guide

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Jan 29 08:34:04 PST 2011

On 1/29/2011 4:41 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 27.01.2011 22:49, Bob Brade wrote:
>>
>>> It would force the author of the style guide to work within the
>>> constraints it defines. Aka: "eat your own dogfood".
> when I wrote this I wasn't thinking about the current style guide, but a new one
> that might get written. In the past years, I've seen some IETF material being
> published as Word, HTML, or PDF only.

It might help to have a general rule that distinguishes between what IETF
information is ok to issue only on a web page, versus what information needs to
be issued as an RFC.

(I'm not mention I-Ds, because those are only intended as a development tool and
the point behind the rule I'm suggesting is to guide the longer-time choice of
publication vehicle.)

Here's my start at the rule:

      If something is highly ephemeral or subject to frequent changes, it should
be issued on a web page.  If something is more stable, and especially if it
represents IETF "policy", it needs to be published as an RFC.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking