[rfc-i] REOC membership

Ole Jacobsen ole at cisco.com
Thu Jan 27 07:47:04 PST 2011

Then how about "Publisher"? I know that the term has been (mis-) used
in these discussions, but in common useage the term actually has two
distinct meanings, both of which would work in our case:

1. The person who makes something available to the public

2. The person responsible for the business of publishing

Both definitions may involve some selection and even editing of
material, but generally #2 is much more of a business role than
a content role, and the required steps are handled further down
the chain (book jacket design, marketing, distribution, printing,
copy editing, topic selection...).

Of course #1 in some sense doesn't matter any more since everyone can
be a publisher in that sense and we have plenty of examples of folks
essentially side-stepping our processes for getting documents out,
but that's a) not a problem (perhaps) and b) not something we can
solve with the appointment of an RSE.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole at cisco.com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj