[rfc-i] REOC membership

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 08:55:36 PST 2011

Glenn,

> I was going to say "it doesn't really matter", especially because we have adopted a strategy
> of figuring out various details, and only when we've nailed down all those details do we slap
> a label on them.
>
> However, on reflection, using REOC seems somewhat less error-prone.
> If we call it RSOC, somewhere, sometime, some folks are going to think that means
> "RSE Oversight Committee" (as in: RFC Series Editor Oversight Committee) only to find out
> quite some time later that they've got the entire scope wrong; a real disservice to the required
> breadth of the oversight function -- and far too much focus strictly on the RSE, which would be
> counterproductive as well.

I don't have a strong opinion, both will work.  I do note that people will tend to forget what the acronym means and focus on what the group actually does over time.  So I don't think any harm will be done.

RSOC is easier to say, while REOC will tend to get spelled out.  I suppose someone might think RSOC means the RFC Society :-)

Bob