[rfc-i] REOC membership

Glenn Kowack glenn at riveronce.com
Tue Jan 25 19:33:48 PST 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2011, at 8:38 AM, Glenn Kowack wrote:
>
>> Recent discussions point toward the following specification of REOC (RFC Editor Oversight Committee) membership.
>>
>> Four background items:
>> 1) The IAB has been discussing constituting the REOC per their RFC Editor oversight role.
>
> Somebody asked me in passing "RFC Editor Oversight Cie" or "RFC Series Oversight Cie"?
> I gazed in thin air as response.
>
> What would your answer be?
>
> --Olaf

I was going to say "it doesn't really matter", especially because we have adopted a strategy
of figuring out various details, and only when we've nailed down all those details do we slap
a label on them.

However, on reflection, using REOC seems somewhat less error-prone.
If we call it RSOC, somewhere, sometime, some folks are going to think that means
"RSE Oversight Committee" (as in: RFC Series Editor Oversight Committee) only to find out
quite some time later that they've got the entire scope wrong; a real disservice to the required
breadth of the oversight function -- and far too much focus strictly on the RSE, which would be
counterproductive as well.

So, REOC seems the safer, less error-prone label. (I've tried to find similar sorts of mis-
interpretations of REOC, but have yet to find one.)

Also, I'm reminded that we rarely refer to the "RFC Series", except in a few rather formal
references.  In practicse, we refer to the "RFC Editor".  So REOC is a bit more in line with
that.

regards,
-Glenn

___