[rfc-i] RSE and RAOC: IAB state, developing consensus, and strawman.

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Jan 25 05:49:39 PST 2011

On Jan 22, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

>> - It is a group organized by the IAB. (This group works closely with
>>   the IAB, we currently use the name program, but directorate,
>>   project, or task force could be other labels for this beast).
>
> For reference, these terms are being tossed around by folks, as if they have careful definition, important distinctions and formal IAB standing.  Perhaps they do, but I do not recall seeing anything about them and I suspect most of us don't know any of the details.
>
> Where are these terms and their IAB status documented?

There is not much 'formal' documentation. What we have been calling a program is the centered around a body of work for which the IAB is ultimately responsible but where we want to achieve some long-levity and continuity in execution by organizing it in such a way that it survives various nomcom appointment cycles.

While one program may have a slightly different management structure than another the idea is that its management structure executes the work in a way that the IAB can give board-level direction and oversight. I personally believe that the REOC fits very clearly into the goal that we are collectively trying to achieve.

>> So while it is clear that we should be focusing our search to a person
>> that is either to the right or to the left of the spectrum we have not
>> developed a consensus on which role that should be. (Glenn's
>> recommendation's are strongly leaning to the right hand side of the
>> scale.)
>
> -1

I should have read the IAB has "not developed a consensus on which role that should be". The IAB discussion was a bit more polarized than what was expressed on list since say mid last week.

--Olaf

                                       Science Park 140,