[rfc-i] RSE and RAOC: IAB state, developing consensus, and strawman.

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Jan 22 11:48:55 PST 2011

> On 2011-01-23 05:01, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>> Where are these terms and their IAB status documented?
>
> I'd go a bit further. It doesn't matter what these terms mean IMHO.
> They describe structures set up by the IAB on an 'at will' basis
> and they don't seem robust against future changes in thinking by
> future IABs. I want to see the REOC set up by an RFC that will
> have at least as much sticking power as RFC 4071 and RFC 2850.

Yes, but...

Getting formal IETF approval with RFC publication is known to be a long and
arduous process for IETF process documents.  If the RFC is merely an IAB
document, then it has little protection against the concern you raise; so it
needs IETF approval.

But yes, the IETF approval should be sought.

The question is whether we have to wait for it?  The answer to that is that we
can't.  We need things in place to get on with hiring an RSE.

So having the IAB issue a "charter" of some sort, with IAB approval, is the most
pragmatic next step, IMO.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker