[rfc-i] RSE and RAOC: IAB state, developing consensus, and strawman.

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 10:54:27 PST 2011

On 2011-01-23 05:01, Dave CROCKER wrote:
> Olaf,
>
> On 1/21/2011 3:34 PM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
>> A) Policy, Community, and Committee
>> It appears that a rough consensus is developing about the role of the
>> RAOC:
>
> +1.
>
> (You didn't ask for feedback on this point, but it seems useful for us
> to confirm your assessment/decision.)
>

>> - It is a group organized by the IAB. (This group works closely with
>>    the IAB, we currently use the name program, but directorate,
>>    project, or task force could be other labels for this beast).
>
> For reference, these terms are being tossed around by folks, as if they
> have careful definition, important distinctions and formal IAB
> standing.  Perhaps they do, but I do not recall seeing anything about
> them and I suspect most of us don't know any of the details.
>
> Where are these terms and their IAB status documented?

I'd go a bit further. It doesn't matter what these terms mean IMHO.
They describe structures set up by the IAB on an 'at will' basis
and they don't seem robust against future changes in thinking by
future IABs. I want to see the REOC set up by an RFC that will
have at least as much sticking power as RFC 4071 and RFC 2850.

Otherwise, +1.

     Brian