[rfc-i] REOC membership

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 15:38:25 PST 2011

Glenn,

On Jan 18, 2011, at 11:38 PM, Glenn Kowack wrote:

> Recent discussions point toward the following specification of REOC (RFC Editor Oversight Committee) membership.

I support having an oversight committee.

> Four background items:
> 1) The IAB has been discussing constituting the REOC per their RFC Editor oversight role.
> 2) Some IAB members have indicted they do not want the membership of the REOC
> 	to be very tightly specified, if at all.
> 3) Some participants in the rfc-interest list recommend that the membership of the REOC
> 	be specified in RFC Editor Model (Version 2) and that a majority be representatives
> 	of the Streams.
> 4) The Overview originally mandated that REOC members be knowledgeable w/r/t technical
> 	writing and publications and/or experience at using RFC Editor services as an author
> 	or (draft) editor.
>
> The gap (tightly defining REOC membership vs not defining it) may be bridged by providing
> the IAB with broad guidelines for REOC membership.	By 'guidelines', I mean broad principles
> and approaches that the IAB should follow if practical matters permit, and if superior
> considerations do not conflict.
>
> The IAB should follow these broad principles:
> - REOC members must focus on the requirements of the Editor and how it can and should
> 	serve the community.
> - The REOC is an expertise and experience-oriented committee.  It should be guided by
> 	professional expertise (in editorial and publications technique) expressed in line with
> 	community opinion and interest.

Could you be clearer on what this means.  Does this mean that the people on the oversight committee should have IETF community publication experience or would any publishing experience be sufficient?  If this is to be an oversight committee, then it needs to provide balance from the IETF community, especially if the RSE is, as you are proposing, have more experience in publishing than in the IETF.  Otherwise, we don't really get much of an oversight committee.

> I recommend the following approach toward appointing REOC members:
>
> - The IAB should appoint approximately 5-7 REOC members, with a balance of:
> 	- knowledge of and/or experience in editorial and publications matters,
> 	- experience at being customers of RFC Editor services as authors, editors, and past members of
> 		stream approver bodies, and
> 	- experience as direct users of RFCs.

This is good, but I would like to see more of this in the earlier text.

> - The IAB should avoid appointing:
> 	- current stream approver committee members, to allow focus and sufficient time to satisfy the
> 		requirements of REOC membership, and

I don't see the need for this rule.  Your text says that it because they won't have enough time.  Anyone who is willing do the job will need to commit the time.

I also think there is value in having a few people involved in the streams be on the oversight committee.  Even as far as having someone from every stream.

> 	- standing members of the various other I* entities. Doing so is unnecessary and could make it
> 		more difficult for members to focus on Editor issues.

Likewise, I don't see the need for this rule.  Please explain.

Thanks,
Bob