[rfc-i] RSE role

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 15:13:00 PST 2011

Hi Ole,

A quick reply in-line.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Ole Jacobsen <ole at cisco.com> wrote:

> Ted,
>
> I agree with your points. As for being able to find someone from
> either inside or outside of the community, that's a different
> question, but the job is (some variation of) what it is so I
> guess the only way to find out is to announce it and see what
> happens.

This is clearly true, but I think a key point to make in that announcement
is that the job will both require publishing/editorial experience and developing
familiarity with the community if the candidate doesn't already have
it.  They should
know that we are willing to be patient while that develops, because we
want the community to participate in the series' evolution.  The job
is not to come
in and shake things up.  It is to learn the community  (if they don't
know it) and use
their experience to help it move forward on *its* goals.

The guidance we're looking for includes suggesting goals and parallel series to
look to for inspiration, as well as a solid sense of what's implementable in our
context and what is not.  There's a lot of scope for leadership in
that, but knowing
our context will be a part of any successful effort.  Ideal remains someone with
both sets of experiences already, because there is no dead time, but the key is
that candidates must understand that's where they need to end up.

best regards,

Ted