[rfc-i] RSE relationship to the IAOC

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Jan 19 02:31:51 PST 2011

On Jan 18, 2011, at 9:27 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>> - The REOC may be constituted under the IAB's authority as defined in RFC 2850,
>> 	Section 2(d): ("The IAB must approve the appointment of an organization to
>> 	act as RFC Editor and the general policy followed by the RFC Editor.")
>

> I completely agree. However, I do prefer to see the REOC constituted in
> an enduring way, so that it doesn't appear to be a whim of the current
> IAB membership. In other words, it needs an RFC, not just an IAB decision.
> (Whether the RFC is an IAB stream document or a BCP is a tactical question.)

Personally(!) I believe that the RFC should give a strong recommendation on the membership, but should allow the committee to evolve. In other words, I see this group as a committee of the IAB whereby the membership is described in SHOULD rather than MUST terminology.

Obviously a future IAB has the responsibility to explain why they would not follow the recommendation when appointing a committee.

Is that still in line with what you both are envisioning?

--Olaf

                                       Science Park 140,