[rfc-i] RSE relationship to the IAOC

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:23:07 PST 2011

Glenn,

Out of order:

> The above satisfies the need for technical-editorial expertise in revising (and
> creating new) agreements while not interfering with the IAOC's execution of its
> responsibilities.  The above is also consistent with BCP 101, which identifies:
>
> 	"The IASA is distinct from IETF-related technical functions, such as
> 	the RFC Editor, the IANA, and the IETF standards process itself.  The
> 	IASA has no influence on the technical decisions of the IETF or on
> 	the technical contents of IETF work.  Note, however, that this in no
> 	way prevents people who form part of the IASA from participating as
> 	individuals in IETF technical activities."
>
> This email defines RSE (and REOC) expertise as technical, and thus appropriate
> as described above.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that because you define this work as technical then this doesn't conflict with BCP101.  While this is a creative legalistic argument, I think it is wrong.  Most of you things say that the RSE would do here are not technical, they are contractual.  For example, writing and revising Statements of Work (SOW), leading the discussion on a SOW, and evaluating the sufficiency of bids w/r/t the SOW are not technical as intended in BCP101, they are contractual.  The activities you list are the responsibility of the IAOC.

By your logic, the IAOC could not be awarding any contracts for tools development because they have technical content.   Or to even hire a secretariat because it might require knowledge of how Internet Drafts are published.  This doesn't make sense.

I also don't think shared responsibility between the RSE and the IAOC will work well.  It needs to be in one place so that there is a clear owner.  Something similar to what you propose was done when hiring the TRSE.  That is the hiring committee did not look at costs and then the IAOC was told to negotiate a contract.  I won't go into details here, but it created a big mess.

The current approach of having the IAOC be the responsible party resulted in the awarding of the current product center and publisher contracts.  This worked well.  I didn't read anything in your motivation document that said otherwise.  I haven't seen any justification for a different process, especially one that would require changes in BCP101.  If BCP101 needs revision, then we should talk about that directly.

What I think will work is that the IAOC creates a subcommittee for these RFPs that includes people with the expertise needed and stake holders. Not just IAOC members.  The subcommittee would write the RFP (based on what is in RFC5620 or bis), review and interview bidders, and make a recommendation to the IAOC.  The IAOC then makes a decision.  The change I would make is to add the RSE to this subcommittee.  This would insure that the RSE was directly involved in the process and his/her concerns taken into account.  In your words, to being in the technical expertise.  The decision would be made by the IAOC and confirmed by the IAB.

Bob