[rfc-i] RSE relationship to the IAOC

Glenn Kowack glenn at riveronce.com
Tue Jan 18 13:28:36 PST 2011

On Jan 18, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Glenn,
>
> Thanks for this very clear message. Just on one point:
>
>> - The REOC may be constituted under the IAB's authority as defined in RFC 2850,
>> 	Section 2(d): ("The IAB must approve the appointment of an organization to
>> 	act as RFC Editor and the general policy followed by the RFC Editor.")
>
> I completely agree. However, I do prefer to see the REOC constituted in
> an enduring way, so that it doesn't appear to be a whim of the current
> IAB membership. In other words, it needs an RFC, not just an IAB decision.
> (Whether the RFC is an IAB stream document or a BCP is a tactical question.)

Brian,
    I also agree with you that the REOC must be constituted in an enduring way,
to avoid "management by whim".  Without that, the RFC Editor could end up being
subject to micro-management by the IAB, which I expect everyone would like to
avoid, including the IAB.  Furthermore, some future IAB could, even with the best
of intentions, end up changing the members of the REOC all too frequently,
which could have problematic side-effects.

I'm separately preparing a note on REOC membership, while I'll send to this
list later today.

As far as that 'solidity' requiring an RFC, I don't yet have a clear opinion. However,
if we go ahead with this approach, then it definitely need to be discussed.

thanks,
Glenn
__