[rfc-i] New "well-known" abbreviations

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Jan 18 10:48:05 PST 2011

On 1/18/11 10:28 AM, RFC Editor wrote:
> Present, but should be upgraded to "well-known"...
>
> ASN.1 (I don't think it is ever used except as an acronym)
> GUI (this is in my 2004 Webster's)
> MD5 (like your note - typically not expanded)
> PIM (this is now one of our core protocol suite. you can reference RFC4601)

Putting PKIX on the well-known list would make a zillion of us really
happy, given that its expansion is usually misleading (PKIX certificates
in fact don't have to be used with the infrastructure; PKIX no longer is
"using" X.509 in that using the extensions in PKIX os far more common
than using the un-extended X.509 itself).