[rfc-i] [IAB] Discussion about Committees and RSE models

john+rfc at jck.com john+rfc at jck.com
Tue Jan 18 10:13:48 PST 2011

--On Tuesday, 18 January, 2011 09:53 -0800 Dave CROCKER
<dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:

> If folks choose a model in which the RSE can take no
> initiative and has no authority to resolve anything directly,
> we will get a largely useless drone.
>
> If we want someone with serious capabilities, we need to
> define a job for them that legitimately calls on those
> capabilities.

+1
And, to say part of that in a different way, if we write a job
description and recruit on the basis that we are looking for a
"largely useless drone" or, at best, someone whose job is to act
as administrative support for a committee, then that is what we
will get, possibly along with folks who are applying because the
want a job, any job, or who have the intention of retiring in
place as quickly as possible-- no one competent, skilled, and
interested who understands our goals will apply.

    john