[rfc-i] Discussion about Committees and RSE models

Ole Jacobsen ole at cisco.com
Mon Jan 17 17:33:38 PST 2011

I have to agree with you. I think the person who eventually gets the
RSE job would be expected to have a certain amount of "vision" and
some ideas for improvements to the way we do things, and certainly be
"in the driver's seat". But it's also clear that a number of changes
would require not only "committee buy-in" but also community
agreement. I'll mention the publications format (ASCII, PDF, e-Pub)
just as an example. It might not seem as big deal to those not
familiar to our processes, but I am sure that a unilateral decision on
the part of the RSE would have "major implications".

Speaking as someone involved in publishing, I really appreciate the
value of a group of advisors that I can turn to for all kinds of
advise, but it's also clear that there are times when I have to
make decisions without them, or turn to somebody else entirely.

I suspect there are, collectively, enough experts in this community
that the RSE wouldn't normally have to "wait for an answer" very long.

I don't have a strong opinion that one model is much better than
another, perhaps we simply have to try one and see how it goes. This
might mean getting a volunteer to do the job for a while or perhaps
using a contractor who can accept a 6 month to 12 month term.

I am still not sure where and how to find such a person...

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole at cisco.com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj