[rfc-i] Discussion about Committees and RSE models

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:06:09 PST 2011

I have read several comments on RSE model stating that committees can do anything right, make bad decisions, can't be trusted, and are guaranteed to not have the required expertise.

I am confused by this in the IETF context as everything is done by committees.  Working groups are committees, the IESG is a committee, the IAB is a committee, the IAOC is a committee, the Nomcom is a committee, the ISOC board of trustees is a committee, directorates are committees, etc.    I don't claim that any of this is perfect, but I am confused by the statements that committees relating to the RSE model won't work, when they appear to work in other areas of the IETF.

I understand why a committee needs to have the right expertise to work, but I don't understand the unsubstantiated claim that they are bound to fail.  If we don't put the right set of people on the committee it will fail, but that also true for hiring an RSE.  If we don't hire the right person with the right capabilities, then that won't work either.  But that's not a reason to not hire an RSE.

Bob