[rfc-i] [IAB] Comments on RSE models

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Fri Jan 14 18:08:30 PST 2011

There is a larger difference in the two models, I think.

However, before I go there, I want to elaborate on one of Dave's
comments.  If whatever structure we propose is going to work, it will
likely work by evolving the actual relationship between the REOC and the
RSE.  By itself, that is fine.
However, if the starting state and the ending state are too different,
we will end up hiring the wrong person for the job.
Of course, if we do badly enough, it will not be able to evolve to
sufficiency, and things will gradually degrade in all sorts of subtle
ways until it is enough of a mess for folks to really notice, and then
it will be VERY hard to fix.

So, to return to what I see as an important difference between Paul and
Glenn.  Paul, assuming I am reading things right, wants the committee to
be responsible for making all policy decisions.  The committee is
responsible for leading community discussion.  And for judging that
discussion.  The RSE then does what the committee says.  In Glenn's
model, the RSE is responsible for those activities.  He then brings his
conclusions to the committee for their advice and consent.  If they
think he is wrong, they fix it.  They still have the responsibility.

The two structures, while they are similar, operate very differently in
practice.  The later draws on the strength of committees for providing
additional perspectives and careful review.  The former requires the
committee to perform management, which much evidence from both within
the IETF structure and outside says is between a bad idea and ineffective.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern