[rfc-i] Short summary of IAB discussion

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Jan 8 15:12:06 PST 2011

On 1/7/2011 11:40 AM, Scott O. Bradner wrote:
>> Olaf said
>
>> I believe that what Andrew exposes
>> is that we setting precedent by hiring staff with strategic
>> responsibilities.
>
> pls clarify - in what way does Glenn's picture of the role of RSE
> have different "strategic responsibilities" than did Jon Postel?

Indeed.  The RFC Series Editor has always had strategic responsibilities, as
have the IETF Chair and the IAB Chair.  We "hire" all those folk.

None of them has ever been a true "volunteer".  They have not donated their
time.  They are paid for their work in these roles.

What is distracting people's thinking is the fact that for the current round
involving the RSE, the funding will come from the IETF itself (or, at least,
from ISOC) rather than some random outside source.

But as important as that is pragmatically it has nothing to do with the point
raised here, namely "strategic responsibilities".

The change being proposed is a rather profound one of moving strategic
responsibilities for the RFC Editor from the RSE to a (new) committee.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking