[rfc-i] accessibility for the series, RE: Some questions on the model and the motivations

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jan 7 22:11:47 PST 2011

> Excellent idea.  Any interest in leading the charge?

I'm happy to kibitz, but as I said a couple of messages back, this stuff
needs to be part of someone's job.  There's a one-off project of
identifying the catalogs and databases we should get RFCs listed in (for
example OCLC, ACM Digital Library, Citeseer), finding out what's involved
in getting info into each of them, and cataloging all the existing RFCs.
I suppose that could be a volunteer thing, give or take contractual
arrangements that might need to be made with the various catalogs.

But then there's the ongoing job of sending the updates whenever a new RFC
is published.  That needs to be integrated into the publication process.

At this point I'm more concerned about ensuring that whatever structure we
come up with is amenable to handling the cataloging work and whatever else
we realize the RFC process needs to do as it goes forward.

R's,
John

> On Jan 7, 2011, at 9:54 PM, John R Levine wrote:
>
>>>  if you go to, for example, the online card catalog at the University of Illinois,
>>> http://vufind.carli.illinois.edu/vf-uiu/   and enter "request for comments",
>>> you'll find a reference to the Series which then points you to the RFC Editor
>>> home page.
>>
>> That's a good start, but if we really want people to be able to find them, there should be catalog entries for each RFC by title and authors.
>>
>> The Springer LNCS series is a good model here (well, other than the $72 per issue price.)  It was originally published on paper, now also online. The series is cataloged in OCLC as is each issue.

Regards,