[rfc-i] accessibility for the series, RE: Some questions on the model and the motivations

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jan 7 17:29:53 PST 2011

>That is certainly interesting.  I wonder that if the library search
>tool doesn't find RFCs, then it probably doesn't find most of the
>content on the Internet that is not related to print media.  If that
>is true, then this looks like a bigger problem for the library search
>tool than for the RFC series.

Not really.  Library catalogs show the stuff that people have taken
the effort to catalog.  There are plenty of online journals that are
cataloged, and it seems kind of odd that we went to the effort to get
an ISSN for the RFC series but haven't done the incremental work to
get them cataloged.  It might involve joining OCLC directly or finding
a member library that will list them for us.

I agree this isn't an enormous issue, but it does suggest that if we
agree that it's a good idea for RFCs to be easily findable and
citable, understanding the issues and making that happen should be
part of someone's job.

R's,
John