[rfc-i] accessibility for the series, RE: Some questions on the model and the motivations

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 10:22:11 PST 2011

Glenn,

> Ross,
>     One of the ways to promote access is to be sure that your information
> (series, journal, book ,etc) is wherever people look.  It is not strictly a matter
> of making sure that people can find the RFC Series when they explicitly go
> looking for it in "the right place".  If that were the case, using search engines
> would be more than enough.  Rather, the point is to be sure that when people
> use media in which one would reasonable expect to find the Series, or where
> we would like them to find the series, then it should be made available there.
>
> Library catalogs are one such place.  How many library searches have been
> done over the years that did not find the Series? Up until earlier this year,
> the answer was: "all of them". Lots of people use library-oriented systems.
> The RFC Series should be readily findable in those.  Making RFC available
> through libraries would take very little effort on our part would yield a high
> return in improved availability.

"Library Catalogs"?  I think this is looking backward toward printed media, not forwards towards an online world.   Library's are trying to be more like the RFC series, that is, an online series.  We don't need to do work to make the RFC series more visible in the print world.

I might be convinced that there is some work to make the series more visible in the online world, but I see very little value in making it more visible in things like library catalogs.  The RFC series had a significant role in creating the online world.  It's focus should be there.

Bob