[rfc-i] The proper role of an RSE

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Jan 5 05:38:40 PST 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 1:46 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> I hear reports that the IAB will be focusing on the question of the RSE today

Correct.

For full transparency my goal for this meeting are:

- To make sure that there is a shared understanding among the IAB about the current proposal and its motivations.
- Assess if there is support with the recommendations among the IAB, and make sure disagreements are understood.
- Assess if there are aspects of the recommendations where the IAB thinks more clarity is needed: define actions to gain clarity
- Assess whether a decision can be made expediently by getting to closure on the high level recomendations first.
- Assess if the decision is rooted in an apparent consensus and there has been sufficient opportunity for the community to engage.

Obviously the decision needs to be grounded in what we collectively think is best for the RFC series and its community, and needs to be able to count on support of the folk that have to do the real work of implementing it.

Note that there is no explicit goal to make the actual decision today.

Personally I still have doubts about the last point. Primarily given the timing of the appearance of the docs and its interference with the holiday season but also because I've heard that some folk find it difficult to come to this list with a contrarian view. That is unfortunate, but this list is the only place where they can go on record.

--Olaf

                                       Science Park 140,