[rfc-i] accessibility for the series, RE: Some questions on the model and the motivations

Glenn Kowack glenn at RiverOnce.com
Tue Jan 4 20:46:42 PST 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 8:49 PM, Ross Callon wrote:

> I am trying to get my head around this entire topic, and thought that I might ask about one small part of it (on the basis that a broad understanding starts with a simple step):
>
>>> 1.a) Suppose we would not be able to find an RSE. What would the effect
>>> on the series and what would the community notice in weeks, months, and
>>> years?
>>
>> - continuing limited accessibility for the series, in direct proportion
>>  to how 'distant' the end-user is (that is, the extent to which they
>>  are not IETF 'insiders'), including some end-users not finding
>>  the series at all,...
>
> Let's suppose that we split the world into two parts:
>
> 1. People who have Internet access and have heard of Google
> 2. Everyone else
>
> Doesn't everyone who is in the first group know how to find Internet Drafts, or any other paper on any subject, by simply Googling for it? I *used* to use the Internet Drafts index and/or search tools to find Internet Drafts. I have recently found that it is quicker and easier to find Internet Drafts by simply Googling the subject matter and/or title.
>
> Is there anyone under the age of 50 who falls into the second group?
>
> I don't understand this one particular point.
>
> Thanks, Ross

Ross,
     One of the ways to promote access is to be sure that your information
(series, journal, book ,etc) is wherever people look.  It is not strictly a matter
of making sure that people can find the RFC Series when they explicitly go
looking for it in "the right place".  If that were the case, using search engines
would be more than enough.  Rather, the point is to be sure that when people
use media in which one would reasonable expect to find the Series, or where
we would like them to find the series, then it should be made available there.

Library catalogs are one such place.  How many library searches have been
done over the years that did not find the Series? Up until earlier this year,
the answer was: "all of them". Lots of people use library-oriented systems.
The RFC Series should be readily findable in those.  Making RFC available
through libraries would take very little effort on our part would yield a high
return in improved availability.

Your question above is telling:
> Doesn't everyone who is in the first group know how to find Internet Drafts,
> or any other paper on any subject, by simply Googling for it?
What about people who've never even heard about Internet Drafts or RFCs
but would benefit from discovering them and the IETF?  Let's make it easy
for them to do so.

I hope that gives you a better sense of the original point.

best regards,
-Glenn
___