[rfc-i] Who decides on the contracts

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Tue Jan 4 16:32:32 PST 2011

I hope that in eliding to highlight one point, I have not miss-stated
your message:

On 1/4/2011 6:52 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> "works in tandem with" doesn't mean "must agree with them on contracts".
> If the proposed model is changed to have either the RSE or IAOC decide
> on contracts, *of course* that body would consult with the other.

If we all agreed on what was "obvious" (a term with similar tone to "of
course they would do X"), then we would not be having this discussion.
Yes, Bob and you both agree that would be an obvious and correct thing
to do.
But if it is actually important to the process (and I think it is), then
it better be written down so that when all of us discussing this burn
out, those stuck with what we write will still do the correct thing.

Writing this so that it specifies sufficient interaction, without
binding how the IAOC goes about its necessary part of the process is tricky.
And getting the balance among the fact that the RSE is responsible for
the proper operation of the system, the IAOC is responsible for the
contract, and the IAB is responsible for high level policy, is hard to
write in a way that respects all of the players.  In particular, the RSE
needs to have sufficient weight in the process so that the contract does
not leave him with something he strongly believes won't work.  (I
started to write "thinks", but if he just thinks it won't work, and the
IAOC thinks it is the right answer, then they should be able to go ahead
with it.  I am concerned about a stronger difference of views.)

Yours,
Joel