[rfc-i] Some questions on the model and the motivations

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 11:21:54 PST 2011

Well, I didn't read Glenn's answer as a flip answer.

If there is no individual in charge of the coherence of
the series, the various streams will, over a period of years,
drift apart in both form and style. We all know that management
by committee doesn't work, so the IAB (or the RSAG, or an oversight
committee) will not be able to prevent this happening. For example,
after a while, one of the streams might decide to switch to PDF-only;
if the production house said no, the stream could just declare
independence and move on. A good series manager would be able to
avoid such an outcome. You could assign the RSE's individual tasks
elsewhere, but not this overall responsibility.

Of course, you could decide that this doesn't really matter, but if
keeping a single consistent series is the strategic goal, I believe
that having an individual in charge is a necessary condition.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter