[rfc-i] Wordsmithing Re: Candidates for RSOC sought

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 11:20:03 PST 2011

On 2011-02-26 01:49, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2011, at 2:09 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>>> My observation is that this text might have made sense as part of a long email thread, but I don't think it makes sense by itself and should be revised.
>> Fair enough, really that is for 5620bis though.
>

> I would really appreciate it if we can work out text now and capture it in draft-kolkman-rse-2011 so that we can converge on it before we appoint RSOC members.

RSOC as a body should abstain from direct participation in the RFC Editor's
policy-making or in formation of its policy-making committees, because this
might conflict with RSOC's oversight role.  If individual members of RSOC
participate in such policy-making, they should be aware of possible
conflict with their RSOC role and should be prepared to recuse themselves,
if appropriate, from RSOC decisions about the items of policy concerned.

[As Bob said, the problem really only arises if there is something like
a personal financial impact - hence 'possible' and 'if appropriate'.
There's always an element of judgment in conflict of interest discussions,
so we cannot define a precise rule.]