[rfc-i] Candidates for RSOC sought

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Feb 25 05:37:52 PST 2011

>>> RFC Editor policy, which the RSE is supposed to propose. The RSOC is not
>>> supposed to do that, because its role is oversight. (RSOC != RSAG).
>>
>> Then it should say this.  The current text could be inferred to mean any
>> kind of policy creation.

>>> Approving a policy item that s/he drafted her/himself.
>> The kind of conflicts I worry about are ones that are hidden.  I don't see
>> what you describe as a conflict as long as the the other members of the
>> RSOC are aware of it.  Perhaps, if the person had a financial interest in
>> the outcome, but that seems like a stretch.
>
> Yes, and that is why it only says "possible" conflict and "should be prepared
> to recuse ... if appropriate."

As we have been recently seeing about the US Supreme Court, recusal requirements
that do not have clear details and clear requirements are subject to reduced
utility.  When the details are fuzzy, some individuals will decide that they are
not required to recuse, while others might think it obvious that they should have.

For the RSOC that will be worse because there also will be no history upon which
to based judgements of when recusal is expected or required.

The closest I've seen to an objective, concrete rule is the above "s/he drafted
her/himself."

While clear and concrete, it's scope is too narrow.  Take a look at working
groups.  A few folks do the drafting, but potentially many others have been
active espousing points of view along the development path.

The purpose behind recusal is to remove potential excessive influence by folks
who have actual bias or a potential appearance of bias.

So I'll suggest a broader rules:

      An RSOC member must recuse themselves from RSOC review and approval of any
issue about which they have been active.

An RSOC member can choose ahead of time:  participate in development or
participate in approval.  But not both.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker