[rfc-i] RSOC oversight role

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:41:53 PST 2011

On 2011-02-17 04:38, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:44:18PM -0500, Glenn Kowack wrote:
>> In order to maintain a clear line between the oversight role of the
>> RSOC and the development role of the RSE, I recommend adding
>> the following sentence to Section 3 of draft-kolkman-rse-2011-02,
>> probably immediately after the 3rd sentence:
>>
>> "RSOC and its members should abstain from direct participation
>> in policy-making or formation of policy-making committees, which
>> would interfere with RSOC's oversight role."
>
> I have two questions about the above.
>
> First, why do we think that it is important to maintain a clear line
> between the oversight role and the development role?
>
> Second, I parse the "which would interfere" in the proposed sentence
> as referring to "direct participation" rather than "committees" (I
> think correctly).  Why would such direct participation interfere with
> oversight?

Friendly ammendment to Glenn's text:

RSOC as a body should abstain from direct participation
in policy-making or formation of policy-making committees, which
would conflict with RSOC's oversight role. If individual members
of RSOC participate in policy-making, they should be aware of
possible conflict with their RSOC role and should be prepared
to recuse themselves from subsequent RSOC decisions if appropriate.

    Brian