[rfc-i] "ALL of an author's initials" in draft-carpenter-rfc-citation-recs-00

Alice Hagens ahagens at amsl.com
Wed Feb 16 08:21:22 PST 2011

Nit regarding this text in Section 7:

   The solution is clear but inevitably requires a change to RFC and
   Internet-Draft document formats.  The committee RECOMMENDS that ALL
   of an author's initials be included both when the author's name is
   listed on the front page of the RFC or Internet-Draft, at the foot of
   each page and in author contact information.  We further RECOMMEND
   that this practice carry over into citations and that all author
   initials be included in any citation.

Rather than "ALL of an author's initials", perhaps the intention here is that all initials of an author's name, as included by the author, be propagated to the running footer, any citations of the I-D, and the front page and running footer of the RFC (if published).  Generally, in an Internet-Draft, the author controls how his/her name appears on the front page and in the author contact information (where the full name is typically used).

The current text seems to imply that the RFC Production Center will look in the Authors' Addresses section in search of ALL initials and make updates accordingly.  For example, in an I-D that is approved for publication as an RFC, if the author is "J. Doe" on the first page, yet "John T. Doe" in the Authors' Addresses, is your recommendation that the RPC would change it to "J. T. Doe" on the front page?

Perhaps:
  The committee RECOMMENDS that ALL of an author's initials (as listed
  by the author on the front page of the Internet-Draft) be included
  when the author's name is listed in the running footer, and on the
  front page and in the running footer of the RFC (if the
  Internet-Draft is approved for publication).  We further RECOMMEND
  that this practice carry over into citations and that the provided
  author initials be included in any citation.

Thanks,
Alice
RFC Production Center