[rfc-i] RSOC oversight role

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Feb 16 08:05:25 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:48:19AM -0500, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

> I think it is probably important that the RSOC as a body not take a
> position on a policy that is under development.  We should figure out
> what we want, and then the oversight should take place to prevent us
> from shooting our own foot, etc.

I think that's right.  I even think it would be a very good idea if
the entire RSOC membership were not active in setting up policy making
committees or in the committees themselves.  But that seems to me to
be something best left to the prudence of the RSOC members (and their
appointers) than something that ought to be encoded in a formal rule.

> Having said that, I do not think it is useful or consistent with our
> ethos to prohibit the RSOC members from participating as individuals in
> the discussions which lead to the policy formation.  There is some
> strangeness, but it is a strangeness we do all the time.

This is what I was wondering about, yes.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.