[rfc-i] RSOC oversight role

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Feb 16 08:01:35 PST 2011

On 2/16/2011 7:48 AM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> Having said that, I do not think it is useful or consistent with our ethos to
> prohibit the RSOC members from participating as individuals in the discussions
> which lead to the policy formation. There is some strangeness, but it is a
> strangeness we do all the time.

A judge may not also be one of the advocacy attorneys in a case.

If you write an article or a book, you are less likely to be good at proof-reading.

There are cognitive psych reasons that conflict of interest can be a problem.
That is, beyond issues of crass benefit, having an 'investment' in the details
tends to affect one's ability to provide detached review (oversight).

In-depth involvement creates in-depth bias.

That interferes with the ability to provide meta-review, which is the essence of

Are we so short on resources that we need people to be doing these fundamentally
different jobs?

ps. This issue also peppers working groups, in which chairs have a reduced
ability to facilitate sometimes challenging working group process because they
have also be acting as an individual contributor.

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking