[rfc-i] RSOC oversight role

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Feb 16 07:38:18 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:44:18PM -0500, Glenn Kowack wrote:
> In order to maintain a clear line between the oversight role of the
> RSOC and the development role of the RSE, I recommend adding
> the following sentence to Section 3 of draft-kolkman-rse-2011-02,
> probably immediately after the 3rd sentence:
>
> "RSOC and its members should abstain from direct participation
> in policy-making or formation of policy-making committees, which
> would interfere with RSOC's oversight role."

I have two questions about the above.

First, why do we think that it is important to maintain a clear line
between the oversight role and the development role?

Second, I parse the "which would interfere" in the proposed sentence
as referring to "direct participation" rather than "committees" (I
think correctly).  Why would such direct participation interfere with
oversight?

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.