[rfc-i] RSOC oversight role

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Wed Feb 16 06:58:09 PST 2011

On Feb 15, 2011, at 10:44 PM, Glenn Kowack wrote:

> In order to maintain a clear line between the oversight role of the
> RSOC and the development role of the RSE, I recommend adding
> the following sentence to Section 3 of draft-kolkman-rse-2011-02,
> probably immediately after the 3rd sentence:
>
> "RSOC and its members should abstain from direct participation
> in policy-making or formation of policy-making committees, which
> would interfere with RSOC's oversight role."
>
> FYI, Section 3 follows:
> ___
> 3.  RSE oversight
>
>  The IAB is responsible for oversight over the RFC Series.
>
>  In order to provide continuity over periods longer than the nomcom
>  appointment cycle and assure that oversight is informed through
>  subject matter experts the IAB will establish a group that implements
>  oversight for the IAB, the RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC).
>
>  The RSOC will act with authority delegated from the IAB: In general
>  it will be the RSOC that will approve consensus policy and vision
>  documents as developed by the RSE in collaboration with the
>  community.
>
>  In those general cases the IAB is ultimately responsible for
>  oversight and acts as a body for appeal and resolution.
>
>  For all aspects that affect the RSE itself (e.g. hiring and firing)
>  the RSOC prepares recommendations for the IAB but final decision is
>  the responsibility of the IAB.  For instance the RSOC would:
>
>  o  perform annual reviews of the RSE and reports to the IAB.
>
>  o  manage RSE candidate selection and advises the IAB on candidate
>     appointment (in other words select the RSE, subject to IAB
>     approval)
>
>  It is expected that such oversight by the IAB is a matter of due
>  diligence and that the reports and recommendations from the RSOC are
>  approached as if they are binding.
>
>  There is one aspect in which the RSOC will work with the IASA: the
>  renumeration of the RSE itself.  The RSOC will propose a budget for
>  approval to the IASA.

Dear Glenn;

I think that there needs to be text stating that this be done in a timely matter. For example (see BCP101) the IASA budget has to be
presented to the ISOC BoT, so the RSE budget request needs to be available to the IAOC well in advance of that, to be integrated with the overall budget. If the IAOC feels that this request is out-of-line, or likely to cause budget shortfalls in tight financial times, there has to be time to communicate that back to the RSOC and address the issue. Likewise, the IAOC works on a 3 year budget cycle, so the RSOC needs to provide budget projections as well.

Regards
Marshall