[rfc-i] RSOC oversight role

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 21:44:28 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Glenn Kowack <glenn at riveronce.com> wrote:
> In order to maintain a clear line between the oversight role of the
> RSOC and the development role of the RSE, I recommend adding
> the following sentence to Section 3 of draft-kolkman-rse-2011-02,
> probably immediately after the 3rd sentence:
>
> "RSOC and its members should abstain from direct participation
> in policy-making or formation of policy-making committees, which
> would interfere with RSOC's oversight role."

You know, this suggestion runs counter to my experience of what happens
when an IETF oversight body refrains from speaking until the end of the process.
That way lies "late surprise", community resentment and bad feeling on
both sides.
Or, I suppose, defining the RSOC as an oversight body that only ensures that
the RSE followed a process, rather than reviewing the actual policies
proposed.

Speaking only for myself, I would much rather have RSOC members who
were fully engaged from the beginning--not least because it will tell them
when their own view is an outlier, which turns out to be a darned handy
piece of data to have.

best regards,

Ted Hardie