"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sun Feb 13 21:21:38 PST 2011

On 2011/02/12 6:54, Joe Touch wrote:

> On 2/11/2011 1:17 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>>> FWIW, that is the basis of many of my comments.
>>>
>>> I would claim that most citations are one or both of:
>>>
>>> a) attribution
>>>
>>> b) supplemental content
>>>
>>> IDs ought to be limited to (a) only,
>>
>> I really don't see how you can make that assertion. The IETF can
>> and does prohibit any form of technical dependency on I-Ds
>> in IETF standards track documents. But the IETF has nothing to
>> say about non-IETF documents of any kind, and has never in practice
>> prevented informational citation of I-Ds for any reason - attribution,
>> content on which the specification does not depend, background
>> information,
>> path not followed, etc.
>
> We can always say how they should be cited. Whether anyone follows that
> information is, of course, their choice.
>
> It's still useful to say:
>
> "IDs should be cited in the same spirit as email message
> identifiers; for attribution, rather than content. Any
> relevant content critical to understanding the citing
> document should be summarized therein."

Some email messages, in particular those on some mailing lists, are
archived, and some of these archives are kept very persistent. There are
some institutions (e.g. the W3C) that regularly refer to emails when
that's the best available reference. So the above doesn't really fly.

Also, the effort that goes into the average I-D is definitely quite a
bit more than the effort that goes into the average email. On this point
again, the above text doesn't seem appropriate.

Regards,   Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp