[rfc-i] Possible new text re I-Ds [RFC citations committee I-D issued]

Scott O. Bradner sob at harvard.edu
Sat Feb 12 08:09:32 PST 2011

> How does adding the number change the state of the ID? It's still "work
> in progress" (or a "working draft").

the point is that you are not saying 'look at this specific document'
you do not want to do that because the document is likely to be replaced by
an update even before your RFC can be published - 2026 wanted to have
references that had to be relied on to be stable

the text out of 2026 says
   Note: It is acceptable to reference a standards-track specification
   that may reasonably be expected to be published as an RFC using the
   phrase "Work in Progress"  without referencing an Internet-Draft.
   This may also be done in a standards track document itself  as long
   as the specification in which the reference is made would stand as a
   complete and understandable document with or without the reference to
   the "Work in Progress".

Scott