[rfc-i] Possible new text re I-Ds [RFC citations committee I-D issued]

Scott O. Bradner sob at harvard.edu
Sat Feb 12 07:26:02 PST 2011

getting close
as far as normative references goes this is fine but
2026 (imo) does not linmit the "do not refer to IDs by filename/version"
to normative references -

so maybe a slight tweak

...it is clear from RFC 2026 that IETF RFCs must not make
reference to specifc versions of Internet Drafts and that
IETF standards track documents must not cite I-Ds as normative references.

Scott
----
How about adding something like this as a new second paragraph of
section 4:

It is not a matter of RFC Editor policy whether RFCs in a particular
stream [RFC4844] are allowed to cite Internet-Drafts. Each stream
should establish its own policy and criteria in this regard; for example,
it is clear from RFC 2026 that IETF standards track documents must
not cite I-Ds as normative references. In this document, we only
consider the practical issues in the format of such citations, not
whether they should occur.

And then in section 6, start by saying something like:

It is a matter of fact that many documents written and published
outside the RFC process cite Internet-Drafts, despite their
ephemeral nature. Without condoning this practice, we offer some
suggestions as to how such citations should be made.