Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Feb 12 07:18:14 PST 2011

On 2/12/2011 2:30 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 12.02.2011 03:15, Joe Touch wrote:
>> Nobody expects email archives to persist forever, or to cite them as
>> persistent. ...
>
> I do. At least for certain mailing lists, like WG lists.

My own reading of this thread is that one or two folk hold an ideal for a highly
ephemeral I-D mechanism and wish to press as forcefully as possible to hinder
any activity that runs counter to that ideal model of temporariness.

The rest of us appear to believe that the reality of I-Ds is quite different and
merely wish to work with that reality.  That view has I-Ds as long-term
documents -- independent of their status -- that the community wants to be able
to cite and access.

Beyond that, I am not seeing any signs of what one might call "progress" in this
exchange.  If anyone sees a basis for something constructive in continuing this
thread, I'm interested in hearing it.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker