John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Feb 11 21:03:38 PST 2011

> Sure - keeping copies for personal use is generally protected/acceptable, but
> posting them for others is not, and there are legal recourses available.

Rather than explain all the reasons why this is wrong, I'll just refer
people to the license in the TLP which is incorporated by reference in the
I-D boilerplate and say that I don't think it's productive for us nerds to
play Junior Intellectual Property Lawyer.

In any event, the net is full of copies of old I-D's, they're not going
away even if a few people take down a few copies due to fatuous legal
threats, nor are people going to stop referring to them.  We can come up
with a consistent reference style, or we can play King Canute.  I know
what I'd do.

Regards,