Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri Feb 11 17:18:00 PST 2011

On 2/11/2011 5:09 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

>>> Even if that were a good idea, how do you propose to do it?  There are
>>> copies of them all over the Internet.  Trashing one archive, even the
>>> largest archive, won't make them go away.
>>
>> It's easy enough for the ISOC to take them down. IMO, the boilerplate should have included:
>>
>> - this doc will be removed from the drafts directory upon expiration
>> - the copyright for this doc allows the ISOC to archive it for legal reasons only, and otherwise reverts all rights to the author upon expiration
>>

> I don't think this would work well.
>
> A group of people write an I-D, it goes through the process some, and then is allowed to expire. It had, let's say, 7 authors from
> 5 companies. At some time while after its expiration, someone else comes along and wants to revive this work. How will they be able to do that ? The original text  has now reverted to the various authors (or their companies, or their estates, or their ex-wives), and the IETF no longer has rights to it. This would not be a good situation to be in.

I don't think the I-D process is designed to ensure the right of others
to revive old work.

There are plenty of ideas that cannot be revived. Some from mailing
lists that go away. Some from archives that disappear. Some from tech
reports that disappeared when their company disappeared.

I think that goal confuses an I-D with a permanent publication venue. If
we want a place where people can voluntarily submit *any*, *unvetted*
body of work, and ensure that it will be archived *in perpetuity*, sure
- create that, and let I-D authors (or anyone) submit stuff.

IMO, that's still voluntary for I-D authors, and it's just fine for the
*authors* to decide to let something die. It's nobody else's *right* to
have access to that stuff later per se. Again, copyrights cover this
space just fine, IMO.

Joe