Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Fri Feb 11 17:09:55 PST 2011

On Feb 11, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

> On 2/11/2011 3:55 PM, John Levine wrote:
>>> I can't speak for others, but my view is that drafts SHOULD (or even
>>> MUST) disappear, excepting for legal precedence.
>>
>> Even if that were a good idea, how do you propose to do it?  There are
>> copies of them all over the Internet.  Trashing one archive, even the
>> largest archive, won't make them go away.
>
> It's easy enough for the ISOC to take them down. IMO, the boilerplate should have included:
>
> - this doc will be removed from the drafts directory upon expiration
> - the copyright for this doc allows the ISOC to archive it for legal reasons only, and otherwise reverts all rights to the author upon expiration

I don't think this would work well.

A group of people write an I-D, it goes through the process some, and then is allowed to expire. It had, let's say, 7 authors from
5 companies. At some time while after its expiration, someone else comes along and wants to revive this work. How will they be able to do that ? The original text  has now reverted to the various authors (or their companies, or their estates, or their ex-wives), and the IETF no longer has rights to it. This would not be a good situation to be in.

Regards
Marshall

Regards
Marshall