Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri Feb 11 16:07:40 PST 2011

On 2/11/2011 3:55 PM, John Levine wrote:
>> I can't speak for others, but my view is that drafts SHOULD (or even
>> MUST) disappear, excepting for legal precedence.
>
> Even if that were a good idea, how do you propose to do it?  There are
> copies of them all over the Internet.  Trashing one archive, even the
> largest archive, won't make them go away.

It's easy enough for the ISOC to take them down. IMO, the boilerplate
should have included:

- this doc will be removed from the drafts directory upon expiration
- the copyright for this doc allows the ISOC to archive it for legal
reasons only, and otherwise reverts all rights to the author upon expiration

Anyone who puts up an "archive" of the drafts at that point is in
copyright violation, and the authors can go after them. (I've done so
for some archives for old IDs of mine, e.g.) That *includes* archives.

IMO, that was the original intent of the I-Ds, and that aspect should be
preserved.

> Personally, if I learned that the IETF did something silly like try to
> make it hard to find old drafts, I would adjust my current scripts
> that rsync the I-D directory so that they never delete anything.  I
> doubt I would be the only one.

Sure - keeping copies for personal use is generally
protected/acceptable, but posting them for others is not, and there are
legal recourses available.

Joe