Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri Feb 11 12:10:45 PST 2011

On 2/11/2011 12:07 PM, Scott O. Bradner wrote:
> Joe sed:
>> I don't see how it's useful to cite "draft-X" without citing a version
>
> nor do I, but my point was above that level - when is it reasonable
> to even use draft-X - it seems to me to be a bad idea to cite 'draft-X'
> if you are just saying that there a working group is working on a related
> technology without going into detail as to what the technology is
> (a very common case)

Hmm. That can be OK to give credit (attribution), but I agree that it's
overused for that purpose. Writing an ID is basically 'starting' to work
on something, and I don't think that really warrant that much credit
until the work is finished.

E.g., we don't typically cite "draft" versions of submitted papers, etc
- unless it's for an important idea, and then the key idea is summarized
in the citing doc typically.

Joe