Glenn Kowack Glenn at RiverOnce.com
Fri Feb 11 11:56:59 PST 2011

On Feb 11, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Scott,
>
> You're correct, but our topic here is really: given that
> someone decides to cite an I-D, what should the citation
> look like?

> I just looked at RFC 1380... an interesting example.
> Some of the references are very interesting historically.
> How can I find them?
>
> Regards
>   Brian
>
> On 2011-02-12 08:16, Scott O. Bradner wrote:
>> There is a basic question that I've not seen asked in this discussion:
>> what is the reason that someone wants to cite an ID in an RFC?

Wearing my RSE hat, I'd like to see more consideration of Scott's
question.  My gut feeling is that the RSE will need to consider this
issue in the future, in the form:  "When it is appropriate to allow
citation of an I-D in an RFC?"

If the answer is 'always', so be it.  If it depends on the circumstances,
then a clear policy, or at least guidance, is in order.

-Glenn