[rfc-i] Developing consensus, episode 3.

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 11:17:45 PST 2011

On 2011-02-12 06:36, Dave CROCKER wrote:

>> The job is expected to take on average half of an FTE (approx 20 hrs
>
> While I think that's the consensus, I'm wondering how it will be handled
> if the average turns out to be low?  This is more of a budget and
> contracting issue than a "policy" one.  The document might want to leave
> it to the IAOC to decide this, since there are standard ways to deal
> with the issue.
>
> However the different ways have very different implications.  One
> approach is open time-and-materials, which ensures that the RSE can
> spend the necessary time, but has an open-ended budget impact.  Another
> is fixed-time, which means that some work won't get done.  Another is
> fixed-work which means the RSE is to take whatever time is needed to get
> the work done.  That's a bit unusual for anything less than full-time, I
> think.
>
> Mumble.

You probably need to include some mumble in the contract, e.g., along these
lines:

1. Define the SoW
2. Define the remuneration (plus a not-to-exceed amount of receipted expenses)
3. State a non-binding expected total hours of work per year.
4. Include a break point one year in, at which time the incumbent
   may bring forward evidence that the hours of work exceed what
   was expected, and the IASA may agree to renegotiate the remuneration.

I think this has to be left to IASA, however; my mumblings are just
to show one way to handle it.

   Brian