Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri Feb 11 10:58:22 PST 2011

On 2/11/2011 5:05 AM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Joe Touch wrote:
>>

>> Overall, it's dangerous to cite something that can disappear (except as
>> credit) - esp. if it's intended to disappear.
>
> Well, there is an easy and obvious fix for that: include a pointer IN
> THE DOCUMENT istead of its content which says "this became RFC xxxx"
> or "this was a terrible idea and we killed it" or whatever.
>
> Insisting that work-in-progress docs cannot be cited is just silly
> IMHO.

Agreed, 100%.

My point is:

- if it's an RFC, then we'd be citing the ID for the original credit (if
the author list changed, or to indicate the provenance date of the idea)

- if it's dead, then the citing doc should still contain enough info
that readers don't *need* to find the ID to understand the issue it
contains (lookie-loos can always want to read it, but the reader MUST
NOT *NEED* to read that ID to understand the citing document)

I.e.:

	- no Normative references to IDs
	(Normative implies, IMO, that content is critical)

	- even Informative references MUST include enough
	info that accessing the original ID is not required

Sure, put as much info as we can to help users find the ID if they're
really curious - that's helpful (except, IMO, URLs, which IMO are never
useful in persistent docs). But we MUST expect the citing doc to
paraphrase enough content that finding the ID truly is optional.

Joe